George Papadopoulos pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI about his involvement with the Russians during his time working for the Trump campaign. This leads us to a very important question, of course, which is... who the heck is George Papadopoulos and what exactly does this mean?
We present to you the PapaGate (YES to this nickname!) timeline:
- 1987: Georgie P was born. (He now 30.)
- 2009: The Papameister graduated from Depaul University with a degree in Political Science.
- 2010: GP went on to earn a Master of Science in Security Studies at the University College London. He had a specific interest in the Mediterranean region, specifically Greek, Turkish, and Cypriot politics.
- 2011-2015: Curious George went to work as an research associate at the Hudson Institute, a conservative DC think tank!
- December, 2015: GeorgePorge started serving on the National Security and Foreign Policy Advisory Committee for Ben Carson's campaign.
- February 2016: Georgaroo left the Carson crew. He joined the Trump campaign in March.
- March 24, 2016: Papadopoulos G met with a professor in London who had "substantial connections" to Russian government officials. The professor brought along what Papadopoulos thought was Putin's niece. (He later learned she was not. Poor Georgie!)
- March 2016: Sneaky Georgie said in a meeting with Trump and the campaign's national security advisers that he had the connections to set up a meeting between Trump and Putin. He reportedly then tried to arrange a meeting between the campaign and the Russian government, emailing a "Senior Policy Advisor" to the Trump camp and telling him they he had "some interesting messages coming in from Moscow about a trip when the time is right."
- April 2016: PapaGeorge found out from his contact that Russia had "thousands of emails" on Clinton. Interesting timing, since the DNC staffers' leaked emails weren't public until July 2016 and Clinton's campaign chairman's emails (the inimitable DWS) weren't released until October.
- May 2016: GeoGeoGeorge sent an email to a "high ranking campaign official" with the subject line "Request from Russia to meet Mr. Trump."
- January 2017: FBI agents began interviewing The George, during which he lied, saying he was in contact with the professor before he was a part of the Trump campaign.
- July 27, 2017: Papa Geo was arrested.
- October 5, 2017: Traitorous P plead guilty to lying to FBI agents about a series of meetings he took and planned while he was a foreign policy adviser to the Trump campaign.
- October 30, 2017: Details of the investigation were unsealed and he was called a "proactive cooperator."
With Papadopoulos pleading guilty, the administration has been trying to diminish his position and his downplay his involvement in the campaign. Sarah Huckabee Sanders keeps calling him a "volunteer" and Trump tweeted these kind words: "Few people knew the young, low level volunteer named George, who has already proven to be a liar." Nice try guys, but this is the first indictment that directly ties your campaign to Russia and we aren't going to forget!